Photo credit: Chung-Ah, Damn Delicious
My sure fire way to get yummy, tender, flavorful chicken is in the Crock pot. That’s the secret to the perfect chicken salad. Another major player in this recipe is my handy dandy Chef’n VeggiChop Vegetable Chopper from Williams Sonoma. This makes the chopping so fast and so easy. “This hand-powered cooks’ tool evenly and efficiently chops fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts and meats without a cutting board. A few pulls creates a coarse chop; the more you pull, the finer the texture becomes.” The reason why this chicken salad is so healthy is because no mayo or sour cream is used. The creamy texture comes from plain Greek yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and a little bit of red wine vinegar.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 medium-sized apple (diced, I used a Gala)
- 2/3 cup grapes (halved)
- 2-3 celery stalks (diced)
- 1-2 tablespoons green onion (sliced thin)
- 1/3 cup of raisins and dried cranberries (mixed)
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 5.3 oz container of Chobani plain Greek yogurt or 1/2 cup of another brand
- 2-3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- Fresh or dried dill weed (to taste)
- Garlic powder (to taste)
- Onion powder (to taste)
- Garlic salt (to taste)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Place chicken breasts in Crockpot. Add 1 cup of chicken broth or stock. If you don’t have this on hand you can add one cup of water plus a couple bouillon cubes. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and/or salt (to taste). Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Shred and cool the chicken and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and taste-test until you reach the perfect flavor that you desire.
- Serve on a bed of greens or on a toasted roll/bun. I placed some buns in oven with a little cheese, let it melt then spooned on the chicken salad mixture. I only used half of the bun to make an open-faced sandwich. Oh, and I also added my favorite sandwich condiment – Claussen pickles!