Last Wednesday I got (involuntarily) laid off. Involuntarily or not, it SUCKS. Ego buzz kill to say the least, especially when it’s so unexpected. Naturally, I gave myself a cheat day this past weekend to kill those no-job blues and to boost my ego (and sugar high).
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes are god’s gift to man and woman. Seriously, when I took my initial bite it was like the first time I heard the Beatles. No joke. And I know you’ve all had Cinnabon before – the so-bad-for-you-but-totally-worth-it meal at the mall or an airport… come on, we’ve all caved to these ooey, gooey blobs of deliciousness.
Great news! Next time you’re craving one of these bad boys, you can create the same thing in pancake form – in the comfort of your own house! Plus, these are much faster than making homemade cinnamon rolls, although I am all for homemade anything so hats off to you if you make the real deal.
I was inspired by this recipe from Holly, of Life In the Lofthouse. To quote Holly, these are “FABULOSITY!”
A made a few changes to her recipe:
1. I did not use Bisquick or any other pancake mix – I used the scratch version as you will see below.
2. I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk instead of regular milk.
3. I did not make the cream cheese glaze – honestly, these are so good and flavorful you do not need any toppings/syrups/glazes. Why add the extra calories?
A few tips:
1. The cinnamon filling ingredients could probably be scaled down a bit – I had a ton extra.
2. Set your griddle or skillet to medium-low. Mine was high and the cinnamon filling burnt a bit so medium-low is the way to go.
3. I have a Cuisinart Griddler – it’s a griddle, panini press, and grill all in one! Perfect for pancakes because you can make 8 at once! Saves you so much time!
PS: These ‘cakes are delicious as leftovers too – hot or cold!